Friday, May 11, 2012

Delirium


Another trilogy about a dystopian future, in the vein of Hunger Games...  Yes, I know that there is a formula to each genre, but is it too much to ask for authors to show a little bit of creativity?

I've read the first two books (Delirium and Pandemonium) in this series. They are fun to read and I finished them really quickly but I couldn't help but find the whole premise to be utterly ridiculous.  I can't imagine America embracing the idea of a nation full of lobotomized citizens blundering around.  A lobotomy is the only thing that makes sense - the author describes the procedure that prevents human beings from contracting the disease of love as a brain surgery using needles and knives.

I work in medical research. According to current research, the part of the brain responsible for the sensation of love can be somewhat localized to the pleasure center of the brain (at least partially).  However, neurotransmitters play a huge role so the fictitious preventative surgery just doesn't make sense.  People in the book lose the ability to love, hate, and feel.  That sounds like a big old scrambling of the frontal cortex to me!

Still I see the appeal of the book. Without giving too much away, there is the required love triangle between the heroine and two boys, one of whom is slightly Peeta-ish...at least his hair is...

No comments:

Post a Comment