Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Book vs. Movie: Which is Better? Part Two

Girl with a Dragon Tattoo

Winner Books
Why? Okay, I’ve only seen the first Swedish movie but it's pretty great. It stays pretty true to the book but….maybe this is the American in me but....really, they cast THAT guy as the attractive womanizer Blomkvist? And that wrinkly, anorexic husk as the charming and gorgeous Berger?

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy Deluxe Boxed Set: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Girl Who Played with Fire, the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's

Gossip Girl 
Winner Books
Why?  Most people don’t know about Gossip Girl is that its actually quite clever and funny.  The first season of the TV series was fun to watch, but sort of in that it's inspiration to go to the gym and straighten your hair every single day.




 Bridget Jones's Diary 
Winner Movie
Why? I prefer Bridget’s fabricated relationship drama in the movie to the real drama in the book.  Perfect Mark Darcy actually slept with that cow? Maybe its because I’m too young but I hate Bridget lets that slide.  I also despise books that so readily tie everything up in a neat little boy at the end of book 1 and then rip that nice bow to shreds right at the beginning of book 2.
Bridget Jones's Diary


Clockwork Orange 
Winner Tie
Why? Both are cool and creepy.  The eeriest part is that Anthony Burgess virtually invented a slang language, and one of the things his soulless, sociopathic characters say in this scary alternate universe is “like”. As in, “I was like, ‘I can’t believe we talk LIKE the crazy characters in a book.”
A Clockwork Orange (Norton Paperback Fiction)



Da Vinci Code 
Winner Books
Why? Sadly, I saw the movie before I read the book. That's never advisable. And still, I found the movie utterly predictable.
The Da Vinci Code





Girl, Interrupted
Winner Tie
Why? The book is better but I have to give this movie props (Angelina Jolie did get her Oscar for it).  Read the book for the real story. The movie turns a person's life into neat little package with a solid conclusion.
Girl, Interrupted




Harriet the Spy
Winner Book
Why? Is there anything worse than having an integral part of your childhood desecrated?

No comments:

Post a Comment