Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Help

Yuck.  I don't understand the hype over The Help.  I didn't really like any of the characters and didn't really care what happened to them, because they were so unlikeable.  The premise of the book is interesting but the author didn't do a good job of instilling the sense of fear that the reader should feel for the characters.  I don't expect many authors to be as good as Harper Lee, who expertly conveys the constant unease and fear of racial issues through a young voice who doesn't quite understand how afraid she should be herself but.... there are subtle ways (without using violent grisly details) to project these integral pieces of novels, and ......It just doesn't happen in this book.

Even if I had liked this book, the very end would have completely changed my mind.  The last little forced quip, the imagined "kids say the darndest things", meant to be trite at best were just plain nauseating. The author's note was better written and better received than the entire novel.  The author should have just published that. - Younger Sister

Older Sister: Time and time again I've had this book recommended to me. I've still only read the author's note and thought it came across as a middle class white woman's belief that creating a fictional black protagonist completely eliminated any need for actual reflection on racism. The author is still fond of her black nanny, if I remember correctly. Without acknowledging that this nanny was paid to be nice to her, the author wishes she knew more about the nanny's life, but you know, not enough to put any effort into researching the woman's past. That white people weren't nice to black people just a few decades ago is not news. A better inquiry for thoughtful readers: What can we do about the lingering racism? Both sisters are of the opinion that a rather frothy novel does little to solve problems, and perhaps even contributes to them.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comments -- I didn't like it very much either, but I didn't stop to figure out why not.

    ReplyDelete